Work - a book Chapter (as well as Conference Papers), including any and all content, graphics, images and/or other materials forming part of, or accompanying, the Chapter/Conference Paper.
Attribution – appropriate credit for the used Work or book.
Creative Commons licenses – enable licensors to retain copyright while allowing others to use their Works in an appropriate way.
Rules of Attribution for Works Published by IntechOpen
With the purpose of protecting Authors' copyright and the transparent reuse of OA (Open Access) content, IntechOpen has developed Rules of Attribution of Works licensed under Creative Commons licenses.
- All Chapters published in IntechOpen books prior to October 2011 are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0);
- All Chapters published in IntechOpen books after October 2011 are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (CC BY 3.0);
In case you reuse or republish any of the Works licensed under CC licenses, you must abide by the guidelines outlined below:
1. Rules for reusing of books in their entirety or significant parts of books
All rights to Books and other compilations published on the IntechOpen platform and in print are reserved by IntechOpen. The Copyright to Books and other compilations is subject to a separate Copyright from any that exists in the included Works.
A Book in its entirety or a significant part of a Book cannot be translated freely without specific written consent by the publisher. Further information can be obtained at email@example.com.
In instances where permission is obtained from the publisher for reusing or republishing the Book, or significant parts of the Book, all of the following conditions apply:
- Information about the first publisher must be provided – please note the fact that the material was originally published by IntechOpen as an OA (Open Access) publication must be acknowledged;
- All original Academic Editor(s) must be credited;
- Since you are reusing content that someone else created and allowed you to use freely, you must credit all Authors involved;
- The type of license that is available for the Works must be indicated, as well as a link to the license provided, so that others can investigate the terms of the license. You will be aware that the material can be used for free in consequence of the CC license attribution, so you must acknowledge that fact. It is not sufficient that the material is Creative Commons, because that says nothing about how the material can actually be used. There are different CC licenses and you have to identify the specific license that is being used;
- Any original Copyright Notices associated, with the Works which constitute the Book must be kept intact;
- Provision of the original title of the Book, as well as the original titles of any individual Works;
- Provision of the URL where the Book is hosted, with a notice to the effect that the Book is an OA (Open Access) publication;
- Provision of the URL to every individual Work which constitutes the Book with a notice that the Work is an OA (Open Access) publication. As the material has been accessed for free, it is incumbent upon you to provide the source so that others can also access it for free.
Every single Work that is used has to be attributed in the way described. If you are unsure about proper attribution, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Rules of attribution for works published by IntechOpen
Individual Works originally published in IntechOpen books are licensed under Creative Commons licenses and can be freely used under terms of the respective CC license, if properly attributed. In order to properly attribute the Work you must respect all the conditions outlined below:
- Credit all Authors – since you are reusing contents that someone created and allowed you to use freely, you have to acknowledge authorship;
- Indicate the type of license under which the Work is available and provide the URL to the license so others can find out the license terms. Preferably keep intact any original Copyright Notice associated with the Chapter (if any). You will be aware that the material can be used for free in consequence of the CC license attribution, so you must acknowledge that fact. It is not sufficient that the material is Creative Commons, because that says nothing about how the material can actually be used. There are different CC licenses and you have to identify the specific license that is being used;
- Provide the URL where the Work is hosted, preferably providing the original title of the Work, as well as the original title of the Book with a notification that the Work is an OA (Open Access) publication. As the material has been accessed for free, it is incumbent upon you to provide the source so that others can also access it for free;
- Provide information about the first publisher – please note the fact that the material was originally published by IntechOpen as an OA (Open Access) Work must be acknowledged.
Every single Work that is used has to be attributed in the way as described. If you are unsure about proper attribution, please contact Us at email@example.com.
In the event that you use more than one of IntechOpen's Works published in one or more books (but not a significant part of the book that is under separate Copyright), each of these have to be properly attributed in the way described.
IntechOpen does not have any claims on newly created copyrighted Works, but the Works originally published by IntechOpen must be properly attributed.
All these rules apply to BOTH online and offline use.
Parts of the Rules of Attribution are based on Work Attributing Creative Commons Materials published by the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation, in partnership with Creative Commons Australia, which can be found at creativecommons.org.au licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia license, and Best practices for attribution published by Creative Commons, which can be found at wiki.creativecommons.org under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
All the above rules are subject to change, IntechOpen reserves the right to take appropriate action if any of the conditions outlined above are not met.
Policy last updated: 2016-06-09