Medicine » Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Hot Topics in Endocrine and Endocrine-Related Diseases
266 pages, May, 2013
- This book covers a selected number of hot topics in endocrine and hormone-related pathologies, discussed by eminent scientists and clinicians coming from different countries of the world. It deals with advanced recent trends in the field, including n ...
- Gestational Diabetes - Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment
162 pages, April, 2013
- This book summarizes several aspects of GD, which is caused by not well-understood multifactorial mechanisms. Common strategies seem to be key in the understanding of the syndrome, i.e., endothelial dysfunction and the role of other placenta cells su ...
- Type 1 Diabetes
Alan P. Escher and Alice Li
613 pages, February, 2013
- This book contains a series of up-to-date chapters that review our current knowledge of type 1 diabetes as an autoimmune disease, the problems that still remain with existing treatments, and possible solutions for the near future.
- Current Topics in Hypothyroidism with Focus on Development
221 pages, February, 2013
- Do you regard hypothyroidism as a more complex issue than just a simple prescription of levothyroxine tablet? Are you interested in getting more information on the management of thyroid dysfunction in pregnancy, at birth, in childhood or in subclinic ...
- Diabetes Mellitus - Insights and Perspectives
Oluwafemi O. Oguntibeju
336 pages, January, 2013
- The fundamental treatment and management goals in diabetes mellitus are to control and normalize blood glucose levels and to prevent diabetic complications. It also includes maintaining normal growth and development and normal body weight. Proper die ...
- Lipid Metabolism
Rodrigo Valenzuela Baez
460 pages, January, 2013
- Lipids (fats and oils) are a wide range of organic molecules that serve several functions in organisms. Lipids are essential components of our diet, highlighting their important contribution in energy, representing 9 kcal/g (or 37.7 kJ/g), and by som ...
- Insulin Resistance
264 pages, December, 2012
- This book has been made possible by the contributions of leading scientists and clinicians from upcoming and interdisciplinary fields of research concerning the molecular and clinical features of insulin resistance. Multiple metabolic disturbances as ...
- Glucose Tolerance
242 pages, December, 2012
- The progression from normal glucose tolerance (NGT) to type 2 diabetes involves intermediate stages of impaired fasting glucose (IFG) and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), also known as prediabetes. The pathophysiology underlying the development of t ...